Our Coaching Team
Head Coach – Ric Howard
Ric is a Bolton lad, and a former pupil of Canon Slade High School. He started his successful swimming career at Bolton Metro and then at City of Salford as a Para swimmer where he had great success. Highlights of which included several British Champs titles and national titles, British, European and World records, some of which still stand and winning medals for GB at the European Championships.
Highlights of his coaching career include;
- City of Salford in their development squads where he played an active role in setting up the very successful Swim Stars programme and developing young swimmers through their programme.
- Swim Trafford, where he was interim head coach where he produced national qualifiers and regional medallists.
- Wirral Metro, where he was Age Group coach and ran a successful programme that developed swimmers from learn to swim through to national level, including Freya Anderson.
- Bridgend Swimming Club, As Age Group Lead - Whilst there he took the programme from nonexistent to a thriving group with several levels.
- Satellite, as Head Coach he has coached and overseen the Age Group and Performance groups as Head Coach as well as bringing through the younger swimmers through their academy programme. During his time at Satellite he has made significant progress gaining more regional entries and national qualifiers year on year.
Rick is passionate about the improvement of swimmers, when the time is right and not burning a swimmer out at a young age . His style of coaching tends to look after the swimmer in the long term, making them steadily stronger and faster as they develop naturally rather than digging for short term success when they are not fully developed physically, emotionally and psychologically. Working on skills at a very young age, especially turns & underwater kick development, then moving onto more in depth work to get swimmers fit through training, then when they are at the correct age specialising in their best events with race specific paced work.
Assistant Head Coach - Antony Evitts
Antony has been involved in swimming since the age of 8 where he first became a member of Bolton Swimming club. He first qualified for nationals at the age of 12 in a range of events from middle distance freestyle to sprint fly and backstroke events. Throughout his years of competitive swimming he has qualified for British championships such as world championship trials, commonwealth trials and Olympic trials. His performances peaked at 21 when I achieved national medals in butterfly and backstroke events.
He is a huge believer in long term athlete development, everything a young athlete should do should be aimed at improving in the long term. Specifically, that stroke technique and perfection are a vital component in age group swimming. Technical skill is vital as the earlier we can develop high levels of skill the greater improvements can be seen throughout an athlete’s career.
> His philosophy on training is that there should be no sacrifice on technique, every athlete should aim to perfect this in each session. The price for swimming success at any level is hard work, dedication and learning. Ant believes that swimming is anything that you want it to be. The more you sacrifice and commit to the sport, the greater the rewards and satisfaction when the goals are achieved.
Assistant Coach - Rory Brennand
Rory is a level 2 qualified coach and has worked as a volunteer as an Assistant Coach at Bolton Metro for 3 years. Working initially with Age group and development squads and more recently with the Performance squad.
He is passionate about developing swimmers of all ages to be the best that they can be. I believe the journey of the swimmer is long and there are no short term fixes to success. It is doing the small things well every session that will make you best you can be.
Commitment and attitude will always beat talent in the long term.
My background is in triathlon and have competed in many races up to Half Ironman distance. I am still a keen open water swimmer and cyclist, touring Europe regularly and racing Cyclo-Cross.